The Psalmist said he had no good besides God! Believers in Christ and God were his primary delight. Those two relationships gave him the most pleasure (Psalm 16:1-3) Does spending time with God and believers give you more pleasure than anything you own? If something besides God becomes your greatest joy, then you are making that thing an idol. You will experience sorrow (Psalm 16:4).
For example, Moses chose the people of God instead of the treasures of Egypt (Heb. 11:24-27). Earthy possessions reap short term reward or "passing pleasures of sin." Our relationship with God and believers reap eternal reward. We have a choice! Either we keep our eye on God or on earthly treasures, which will rust away, lose their value in the stock market or be stolen by thieves (Matt. 6:19-24). When we delight in God and believers, not only do we gain eternal reward, but live an abundant and full life on earth (John 10:10).
What are the benefits of pursuing a relationship with God and believers? The rest of the Psalm answers that question:
1. God provides inheritance and meets all our needs (Psalm 16:5)
2. God provides housing and meets our financial needs (Psalm 16:6).
3. God provides counsel and meets our mental needs (Psalm 16:7).
4. God provides friendship and meets our emotional needs (Psalm 16:8)
5. God provides safety and meets our physical needs (Psalm 16:9)
6. God provides a home in heaven and meets our spiritual needs (Psalm 16:10)
7. God provides an abundant life on earth as we experience joy and real pleasure (Psalm 16:11).
Is God your greatest delight? Spend time right now in worship by adoring Him. Watch this video on how we play at religion.