Jesus emphasized the following character qualities that not only allow us to live out an effective Kingdom lifestyle, but empower us for authentic disciple making.
Essential Character for Authentic Disciple Making (Matt. 20:29-28:20)
1. Showing Compassion: Compassion is a chief character quality seen in Christ’s life. He wants us to reach out to others with compassion. Do you find out what people need so you can help meet their needs (Matt. 20:32-34)?
2. Exercising Humility: As Christ did not seek attention from others, we should quietly work without fanfare. Are you willing to take a lowly position away from the limelight to fulfill God’s purposes (Matt. 21:4-5)?
3. Devoted to Prayer: Christ prayed in every circumstance of life and spent all night with His Father before choosing His disciples. Is believing prayer a priority in your life (Matt. 21:13,22)?
4. Attaining Stability: Are you making Christ the foundation of your life (Matt. 21:42)?
5. Love God and Others: Do you love God and others with your whole being (Matt. 22:37-40)?
6. Maintaining Alertness: Are you being attentive and ready for the Lord’s second coming (Matt. 24:42-44)?
7. Stewarding of Gifts: Are you maximizing your time, talent and treasure for God’s glory (Matt. 25:28-29)?
8. Helping the Poor and Needy: Are you open to meet the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of the poor (Matt. 25:42-45)?
9. Demonstrating Faithfulness: Do you rely on the Holy Spirit to respond properly to temptation (Matt. 26:41)?
10. Practicing God’s Presence: Are you practicing the presence of God while making disciples (Matt. 1:23c; 28:18-20)?
What is the emphasis of these character qualities?
Which of these qualities would you like to apply to your life and why? Meditate and pray through the Scripture that corresponds to the character qualities you selected. Ask God through the power of the Holy Spirit to develop that quality in your life and listen to what He says to you. Write down what God says to you.