Motivation to Unity
The Lord used five nations to test and train Israel in warfare to determine if they would obey Him since they had no experience of war in Canaan (Judges 3:1-5).
1. Spiritual opposition (world, flesh and devil) motivates the church to seek unity.
Defense of Unity
Israel's sons and daughters chose mates among these five nations causing them to serve Baals and Aheroth and forgetting the Lord. The Lord strengthened Eglon king of Moab because they did evil in God's sight (Judges 3:6-7,12).
Marriage is God's first line of defense against idolatry and preserving unity.
2. Being unified in marriage prevents a couple from serving false gods and experiencing unnecessary spiritual opposition.
Fight of Unity
Ehud made a sword with two edges and bound it on his right thigh under his cloak. He blew a trumpet and Israel struck 10,000 Moabites. The land was undisturbed for 80 years (Judges 3:16-30).
3. Peace comes as the corporate body of Christ fights spiritual battles in unity against sin.
Weapons of Unity: Prayer
Israel did evil in sight of Lord after Ehud died. Lord sold them into hand of Jabin king of Canaan. Israel cried to the Lord since Canaan owned 900 iron chariots and oppressed them severely for 20 years (Judges 4:1-3).
4. Deliverance from oppression begins when we corporately pray and cry out to the Lord in unity.
Weapons of Unity: God's Word
Sisera was told that Barak had gone up to Mt. Tabor and called together all this chariots and people. Deborah said to Barak that this day the Lord gave Sisera into his hands because the Lord had gone before him. Sisera's army fell on edge of the sword with no one left (Judges 4:12-16).
5. Victory over world, flesh and devil occurs when corporate body of Christ uses sword of God's word in unity.
Prerequisite for Unity: Every Member Mobilized
Jael, Heber's wife, used a tent peg and hammer to kill Sisera while he was sleeping (Judges 4:17-24).
6. Each member of Christ's body has important role in defeating spiritual enemies and building God's kingdom.
What is God saying to you about unity and fighting the spiritual battle in the world?