Negative command: Do not fret or be envious of wrongdoers for they will wither quickly like grass.
Positive command: Trust in the Lord and do good as you dwell in the land and feed on God's faithfulness (Ps. 37:1-3).
The next section explains what trusting in the Lord looks like and its benefits (Ps. 37:4-11):
1. Delight in the Lord. Benefit: receive desires of your heart
2. Commit your way to the Lord. Benefit: direct your paths
3. Rest & wait patiently in the Lord while ceasing & forsaking wrath (stay humble). Benefit: discover God's destiny for you
The Psalmist next shares how God overcomes and defeats evil so you can participate in His kingdom mission while living a righteous life (Ps. 37:12-15):
1. Wicked plots against you: Lord laughs since his final day is coming
2. Evildoers want to overthrow & kill you: Lord renders them powerless
The Psalmist concludes with hope and promises from God to encourage the righteous to trust Him in overcoming evil (Ps. 37:16-40):
1. Sustains you
2. Receives eternal inheritance
3. Experiences abundance in famine
4. Establishes your steps
5. Delights in you
6. Meets financial needs
7. Feels God's presence
8. Receives eternal reward
9. Obtains deliverance, safety and security
Are you trusting in the Lord by delighting in Him, committing you way to Him, resting & waiting patiently for Him and taking refuge in Him? Which of the nine benefits motivate your trust in God?