1. Anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God,
2. Anything you seek to give you what only God can give you.
3. A counterfeit god is anything so central and essential to your life that, should you lose it, your life would feel hardly worth living
4. An idol is whatever you look to and say, in your heart of hearts, “If I have that, then I’ll feel my life has meaning, then I’ll know I have value, then I’ll feel significant and secure.”Psalm 115-117 explains how to make God Lord instead of idols
Glory in God's Love and Truth
Give glory to God's name because of His lovingkindness and truth so the nations can see Him. God does whatever He pleases from the heavens. Idols of silver and gold are the work of man's hands, which can't speak, see, hear, smell, feel or walk. People become like the idols they trust (Ps. 115:1-8). Glory in God's love and truth instead of idols made by men.
Trust and Fear the Lord
The Psalmist calls on Israel to trust in and fear the Lord as their help and shield. He blesses everyone equally and gives increase to your family as maker of heaven and earth (Ps. 115:9-15). Trust and fear the Lord because He is the only one who offers help and protection.
Bless and Praise the Lord
God gives the earth to men so they can bless and praise the Lord forever (Ps. 115:16-18). Bless and praise the Lord as your prime purpose in life.
Call Upon the Lord
I love and call upon the Lord because He hears my prayers. I found distress and sorrow when death and evil surrounded me. I called upon the Lord's name to save my life (Ps. 116:1-4). Call upon the Lord for deliverance when facing distress, sorrow, death and evil.
Admit Your Brokenness
God's graciousness, righteousness and compassion preserve and save me. My soul rested as the Lord dealt bountifully and rescued me from death, tears and stumbling. Acknowledging my affliction led to believing God and recognizing the lies of men (Ps. 116:5-11). Admit your brokenness and trust in God's grace, righteousness and compassion instead of men's lies.
Embrace Your Freedom in Christ
In response to the Lord's benefits, I lift up the cup of salvation, call upon the Lord and pay my vows to Him in the presence of others. As God's servant who loosened my bonds, I offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call upon His name in the Lord's courts (Ps. 116:12-19). Embrace your freedom in Christ so you can thank and call upon God in the presence of others.
Praise God for Love and Truth
All nations should praise God because of His great lovingkindness and eternal truth (Ps. 117:1-2). Never forget to praise God because He's the one who offers love and truth.
Consider this plan to fight idolatry:
1. Spend time glorying in God's love and truth
2. Take action in trust, fear, bless, praise and calling upon Him
3. Admit your brokenness
4. Embrace your freedom in Christ
5. Praise God for His love and truth